Residential Permitting




You need to provide a paper application and some additional documents when you apply for a permit. The types of documents you need to submit with your application depend on the kind of project you want to build. A reviewer can help you find out what documents you need if you come in for a free 20 minute consultation. You can also hire a professional to help you apply for your permit.

What happens at Residential Plan Review?

A staff member will meet with you and use a checklist called a Gold Sheet to perform a completeness check.

Once you apply, you will be moved into the Review process. Reviewers will either approve your application or send you any required changes in the form of comments. This process typically takes about 15 business days.

Remember to leave enough time for the completeness check. Residential Plan Review can get very busy and wait times can be an hour or longer. We recommend signing up online or arriving as close to opening time as possible and sign up in person.

What documents will I need to submit?

All permit applications for this project type require:

1. Application

2. Plot Plan

A plot plan is a drawing that shows your home’s current footprint and any existing structures on your property. The plot plan must be drawn to scale by hand or on a computer. It can be prepared by you or a licensed professional. Use graph paper if you’re drawing your plot plan by hand to make it easier to draw to scale. If applicable, include trees and power lines that run above your property.

3. Floor Plan

The floor plan of the existing porch, carport or garage space along with a floor plan of the enclosed space(s) and immediately adjacent rooms must be drawn to scale either by hand or on a computer. The floor plans can be prepared by you or a licensed professional. If possible, use graph paper to make it easier to draw to scale. Include details such as door width and heights, window width and heights, space dimensions and ceiling heights.

Other commonly requested documents

Owner’s Authorization Form: An engineer, architect, or any other hired professional will need your permission to submit your application. Use this form if they will submit your application for you.

Building Service Permit Application (BSPA): Required for building permits, not standalone trade or tree permits.

Water & Wastewater Service Plan Verification (WWWSPV): Required for building permits when the number of bathrooms on the property exceeds (3).

How do I submit my application?

Submit your complete permit application to Residential Plan Review. There are two ways to submit your application.

  • Sign up for intake in person at the QLess Kiosk. The kiosk is located within the Residential Plan Review Division.
  • You can also save time by joining the line remotely on the QLess website.

Read more about signing up on QLess.