Not all projects require a permit
Some types of projects can be completed without a permit. Examples of projects that don’t need a permit include:
- fences not over 8 ft high or located in a flood hazard zone
- sidewalks or driveways that aren’t located in a public right-of-way
- painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops, and similar work
- prefabricated swimming pools less than 24 inches deep
- playground equipment, including swings
- portable heating and ventilation appliances or cooling units
- other work as determined by the building official
You will probably need a permit if your project requires more work than what’s on this list. See a complete list of projects that don’t require permits on the Development Services Department’s Work Exempt From Building Permits webpage.
You can also check out our Projects page to learn about the permitting process in Austin, Texas, and to see if your project falls under one of our common projects.
Was this page helpful? Leave us feedback about your experience